Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Monet's Water Lilies

Monet is one of my favorite painters of all times and as many of you know he made a lot of beautiful  impressionist paintings of the Water Lilies in his garden. These paintings have always given me great peace and the very first "real" (meaning bigger then for the cat's) quilt I made was greatly inspired by these paintings. It's a bargello and I simply call it "Monet's Water Lilies", the contrasting fabric is actually water lilies.

I'm sorry for the so and so quality photo, this was taken by a friend at the Quilters Retreat I attended when I made it. I'll take a better photo one of these days and show you. I don't know if you can tell but I spent a small fortune on the border and backside, it's all the same section of a quite expensive fabric that I just had to have and built the quit around sort of. I quilted it in spots only by making little hearts on every other square, I did this since I had no idea how to quilt and didn't want to ruin it, still don't really but I'm getting there. ^^ 
I was so happy and tired in this photo, my first "real" quilt!




One of Monet's many Water Lily paintings, this one can be found at the Art Institute of Chicago and was painted 1906. Picture is borrowed from Wikipedia. 

Another one, can be found at Dallas Museum of Arts, painted 1908. Picture is borrowed from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment